11.23.2008

On Driving: How to Gain my Confidence Back


Dear Readers,

I originally posted this in The World of Filipinas forum seeking for some advises on how to gain my self confidence back after driving a dangerous left turn that almost hit our car. The reason that I posted it here in my blog is to help people like me (new drivers) with the same experienced and to gain advises and suggestion to all expert drivers that might come across this site.

I got my Learner's permit three weeks after my arrival in HI. (I did study HI learner's manual, a night before the written DMV test , just got lucky to meet the passing score 24/30). I was preparing for my road test for 2.5 months with a driving instructor plus my husband. Luckily passed the test and got license now. But if I am going to evaluate myself, I still need more info about driving. I just drove 2 times alone.

Two weeks ago while me and my husband was driving - me the driver and he was setting next to me. I made a dangerous left turn. I made a mistake on the understanding that it was safe to follow the cars ahead of me, and the traffic light is green. I made the left turn, and while I was in the middle of that turn, I saw a fast car coming and I pressed the gas hard, and the car did not hit us. I was nervous after wards husband too. We almost got killed. I told him not to trust my driving and be attentive on my driving.

After that incident, I lost my confidence in driving, husband is doing his best to gain back my confidence but I am still nervous and avoid to drive as much as possible.

I appreciate any suggestions and advises from my WOF family. Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted below are the replies

Start slow.
Find a drive that is simple, not too many intersections or mergers, do
it over an over, then add something more complex little by little.

Here for example, the driving between my house and the closest
supermarket involves two turns and both with a stop light.The advantage in my
case is that is an useful driving.Relax, anyone when starts driving will go
through these situations. In your case it is positive that you recognized that
you didn't do good.


Good driving,
Carlos.



and while I was in the middle of that turn, I saw a fast car coming and I
pressed the gas hard, and the car did not hit us.Sounds like you did good other
than the fact you should have judged the speed of the vehicle coming towards you
better and not made the turn until it was clear.Watch out for "old filipinos
with a hat on drivers in Hawaii" They are by far the worst.Especially if alls
you see is the hat!!! - ampalaya


hi shieangel, don't be discouraged to drive again. that's a common mistake that you have done, especially for a new driver like us. but we learn from our mistakes. good that you didn't have any accident. next time, try not to be distracted if you're behind the wheel. you have to concentrate and never remove your eyes from the road even a second. and as you have learned, every time you come to an intersection, you have to stop, look in all directions and proceed only if you're sure that it's safe to go. correct practice makes our driving perfect. so keep practicing... good luck.. - fe


We all make mistakes especially when we are new drivers. Judging the speed of other cars coming in our direction will get easier with more experience. My husband can't relax when I drive yet so he is always looking out for danger. Don't give up because the more you drive the better you will get. Drive defensively and always plan ahead. The main thing is to get back out on the road and drive every day. Each day the memory of your near accident will fade and only serve as a good lesson on what to watch out for. God Bless -Van


I agree with Carlos and on top of that you made the right decision to hit the gas....great instinct. Do you have any idea how many people will panic and hit the brakes? A lot. You made an important statement........."I made a mistake on the understanding that it was safe to follow the cars ahead of me, and the traffic light is green."That is a great self critique. One very important lesson is that a green light does NOT mean it is safe to go. It only means it is your turn to go. Always look to see if you think the other guy is not going to stop or in making a left on green that no one is coming your way from the other direction on HIS/HER green light. Also when moving on a green light, Always assume the other guy will do the wrong thing....that is driving cautiously. If the guy who almost hit you was driving like that he would assume you will turn in front of him and be careful and ready to hit his brakes just in case. I bet he didn't think you would make that mistake, so you scared the crap out of him....hehehehe. Maybe next time he will use a little more caution also.Every driver makes mistakes, even with years of experience. Just keep driving and the experience and confidence will come with time. There are no shortcuts to confidence. -Paul










No comments:

Post a Comment