11.18.2008

Learning Hawaiian Language

Remembering the first few Hawaiian words that I've heard while I was in the Pre-Departure Area in Manila International Airport bound to Hawaii by Hawaiian Airlines.

Aloha

Just wondering what is this aloha mean? It seams to me like a greeting such as hello, konnichiwa, shalom, kumusta. It sounds like that.

Reading a book on Aloha, changes my way of understanding the meaning of Aloha, it is more that greetings, it looks like a blessings, happiness, contentment. It also means love, affection, mercy, peace and compassion. Reading my header ..." Aloha is found in silence, lived in peace and passed on in love...." Give Aloha to everyone.

Mahalo

Upon hearing the word, Mahalo, in my mind it means thanks but the truth is it is more that that. Mahalo is a kind of gratitude, admiration, praise, esteem, regards and respects.

Living in Hawaii for 4 months now, I noticed that they mixed Hawaiian words in English. For instance;
  • Mahalo for waiting.
  • Mahalo
  • Mahalo for calling

Haole

For Hawaiians it means, foreign or foreigner. But it have different meaning in different context.

Wahine and Kane

While going to the public restroom in Hawaii, I came across with two strange words in each doors, Waheni and Kane. OMG! Which is woman's rest room? I just take chance of the W in waheni for woman! and I got the right room.

Hula

It is a dance form accompanied by a chant or song called mele . Western - influenced hula is performed by a guitar or ukelele.

Below is a video performed by one of the Hula performers in the Island of Kauai during a wedding ceremony







2 comments:

  1. Aloha! Mahalo for your post. Just a small correction, the Hawaiian word for woman is spelled "wahine".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much aloha to you! I appreciate your correction, I have corrected it.

    Mahalo for your time. Take care

    ReplyDelete