10.17.2008

K1 Visa Social Security Number Application


A Social Security Number (SSN) is a 9-digit number issued to citizens, permanent residents and temporary working residents. You can visit the nearest Social Security Administration office for more information and details on how to get one.

For K1 Visa Applicants Requirements:
  1. Birth Certificate

  2. Passport

  3. I-94 (Departure Record)

However, while visiting and reading in the forum, I have learned some issues regarding applying for SSN before or after marriage.

I have some friends who already got their SSN before marriage including me. But after marriage, you need to go back to the SSA office to change name, and then my problems comes in. Below is my post in the forum regarding this issue:

The first guy who entertained me to come back and bring my passport,I-94, and BC because at that time we were just inquiring. My reason for having an SSN is for I was taking a short term course .

On the following day, another staff was there, the lady told us that she cannot issue it to me, and she asked the her colleague about it and they were looking for some guidelines but after few minutes, she said it is not possible so we went home. But we did not give up, we still go to the SSA and we saw the guy who first entertained us was there, so we told him about the problem, he issue gave me the receipt and was told to wait for mail. and so i got after few days, I got my SSN before the marriage, he told me to come back to the office and bring our marriage certificate to change the name. So after having the documents we went back to SSA office, and same guy who entertained us was on duty at that time....... and told us to wait for the mail to come. When I got the mail, I was surprised, below is the letter:

We cannot give you a Social Security Card at this time because:

The Department of Homeland Security is unable to verify the immigration document you submitted as evidence of your lawful alien status. You should contact that agency to clarify your current immigration status.Please come and see us when you received your I-766 or I-551.............


How could this be? I have friends in the forum that they got their SSN when they applied for it right after their marriage. Confusing........

2 comments:

  1. hi dear, as far as i know you can get ur SSN after the marriage but not applicable for all states. I have a friend who got her SSN after her wedding but they havent submitted her application of change of status. Here in Alaska they will not issue SSN unless u filed ur change of status. I try to apply coz i want to get a drivers license badly :-)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aloha marilou

    i was given an ssn before i got married but when i came back to change name, they want me to have my EAD and Greencard.
    By the way, in my state, they allowed my to take learners permit exam and road test even if i dont have SSN number at that time. But they make a letter to SSA and we brought it there, and SSA approved and faxed it back to them.

    ReplyDelete